TOKYO April 30, 2015:Japan Airlines (JAL) extends its condolence to those affected by 7.8-magnitude earthquake that hit Nepal on April 25, 2015. The airline decided to offer its support and assistance such as by providing free transport of relief goods and aid personnel from Japan to Philippines as well as appealing for a mileage donation drive to raise funds.
It was said the death toll might be more than 3,000 and injured thousands of others in Nepal. Thus, JAL decided to support the aid efforts in devastated area regarding the situation of disaster in Nepal and its CSR.
Transport of Relief Goods
JAL will transport relief goods and supplies from April 30 to May 31, 2015. Relief goods and supplies will be carried as air freight and under the conditions specified below:
- The shipper and consignee must be governments, embassies, local municipalities and agencies of the United Nations (such as UNICEF) etc.
- Contact information of the shipper and consignee must be provided in detail.
- The arrival point must be Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport and Delhi Indira Gandhi international Airport. The departure point must be Tokyo (Haneda or Narita) Airports or Osaka Kansai Airport, or Nagoya Chubu Airport for JAL flights to Bangkok, or Tokyo (Narita) to Delhi.
- Arrangements for customs clearance and surface transport at the departure point and arrival point must be completed by the shipper beforehand.
- Shipments must not contain dangerous goods, live animals, or other restricted items.
- The weight of relief goods and supplies should be within one ton for each transport.
- Shipment is subject to space availability.
Transport of Relief Aid Personnel
JAL will also provide free air transport on its flights between Japan* and Bangkok and between Tokyo Narita and Delhi for persons supporting local relief operations and coordinating volunteer activities who belong to the authorized non-profit organizations introduced by Japan Platform (JPF)*1, starting April 30 to May 31, 2015.
*It means the airports of Tokyo (Haneda and Narita) Airport, Osaka Kansai Airport and Nagoya Chubu Airport.
Mileage Donation Drive
JAL is offering its full support to devastated area in Nepal and is calling on its JAL Mileage Bank (JMB) members to donate miles to raise funds necessary for relief work.
- Application period: April 30 ~ May 31, 2015
- Mileage for application: Donation will be accepted in units of 3,000 miles, as an amount of JPY 3, 000 for donation. JMB member can make mileage donations on JAL’s website or by telephone to each region’s JAL Mileage Bank Center.
Website (English): http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/use/charity/
Trademarks, brands, copyright and the other intellectual property rights material contained on this website belong to Japan Airlines Co., Ltd. or the applicable owners or third party. The material may be used only for personal use and for non-commercial purposes.