Japan Airlines Earns third 'WORLD CLASS' Airline Rating and Wins 'Best-in-Class in Safety and Well-Being' Award at the 2023 APEX/IFSA EXPO
JAL earns WORLD CLASS 2024 award for the third consecutive year.
JAL has been recognized as one of the world's top airlines for its exceptional standards of service, guest experience, sustainability, and especially its best-in-class in safety and well-being.
TOKYO, Japan – Japan Airlines (JAL), a member of the oneworld® Alliance, has received the 2024 WORLD CLASS award by APEX (*1) for the third consecutive year, making it the only Japanese airline to be recognized at the 2023 APEX/IFSA EXPO. Additionally, JAL has also received the ‘Best-in-Class in Safety and Well-Being’ award for its outstanding efforts in safety, security, and well-being.
(*1) APEX (Airline Passenger Experience Association) is one of the largest international airline associations based in North America. It is a non-profit global organization with participation from airlines, airports, airline-related suppliers, and other industry stakeholders worldwide.
In response to the increasing significance of airlines’ sustainability initiatives and the prioritization of safety and well-being, the APEX WORLD CLASS award was inaugurated in 2021, incorporating these aspects into its evaluation criteria. This award is given only to the world's top-level airlines after a comprehensive evaluation of not only the airlines’ quality of service, but also their sustainability initiatives, safety, and well-being. This marks the third consecutive year that JAL has received the WORLD CLASS certification, acknowledging its high service quality as well as its efforts towards achieving a sustainable society and continued commitment to safety and well-being.
JAL’s major initiatives recognized as WORLD CLASS, the world's highest standard:
SUSTAINABILITY: experience “care for our environment”
• Committing to society by placing ESG at the core of the corporate strategy and actively accelerating its promotion. Initiatives based on a clear roadmap such as achieving net zero emissions by 2050, and keeping CO2 emissions below 9,090,000 tons in 2025.
Examples of sustainability initiatives include:
• Upgrading to fuel-efficient aircraft. The international service launch of Airbus A350-1000.)
• Initiatives to reduce single-use plastics and package weight of inflight meals to reduce CO2.
• Introduction of paper made containers, lids, and tray mats in JAL Economy Class.
• Collecting and recycling of paper cups on some Japanese Domestic routes.
• Increased routes with the “JAL Meal Skip Option” that allow customers to decline inflight meal service in advance of travel to reduce food loss.
• Expansion of the carbon offset program to include corporations.
• Operation of Sustainable Challenge Flights (Second series took place in September 14-20).
SAFETY-WELL BEING: experience “keep me safe”
● World-class sanitation measures such as clean toilets.
● Introduction of health-conscious meal options (Inflight meals supervised by Tanita Café, inflight meals using “The future 50 foods”).
● Improving inflight comfort and accessibility by offering accessible tours and creating inflight safety videos with sign language interpretation and
● Improvement of well-being by making everyone able to have relationships and connections through air transportation movement.
SERVICE-GUEST EXPERIENCE: experience “space, comfort, personal attention and fine cuisine”
• In Business Class, customers can expect personalized service from the cabin crew and enjoy high-quality Japanese cuisine with excellent taste and presentation.
• In Economy Class, passengers can experience comfortable in-flight service with spacious seating and wider seat pitches, accompanied by attentive service from the cabin crew.
WORLD CLASS, reserved for airlines that have been recognized as Five-Star Global Airline in the APEX Official Airline Ratings™, is the new airline rating North Star for today’s travelers and only eight airlines were certified as WORLD CLASS this year. APEX’s WORLD CLASS 2024 was rigorously audited by Yates and Partners (*2), aviation’s premier guest experience consultancy.
APEX WORLD CLASS PROFILE: https://www.apexworldclass.com/airlines/japan-airlines
"The World Class audit identified distinctive hospitality particularly in economy and premium economy. Exceptional cleanliness in bathrooms and in all cabins was noted. Overall Japan Airlines achieved World Class best in class in “keeps me safe”, well-being and attention to detail,” said Yates and Partners Keith Yates.
“After a comprehensive in-flight audit process and the diligent work of cross-referencing over 1 million votes spanning nearly 600 airlines, it brings me immense pleasure to award Japan Airlines the esteemed 2024 APEX
World Class distinction, surpassing five-star accolades," APEX CEO Dr. Joe Leader remarked. "Japan Airlines’ unmatched commitment to timeless Japanese hospitality, their exquisite 'JAL SKY SUITE' configurations, and their pioneering onboard dining experience, demonstrate an airline that’s not just flying but elevating the very essence of air travel. Every element, from their meticulous attention to detail to the artistry in their personal inflight services, showcases a brand that is redefining luxury in the skies. My profound congratulations to Japan Airlines’ entire team for crafting a journey that resonates so profoundly with global passengers."
In May 2021, the JAL Group announced its medium-term management strategy, “JAL VISION 2030,” which will drive future growth with "Safety and Peace of Mind" and "Sustainability. ‘WORLD CLASS’ is an award that aligns with and recognizes the airline’s efforts to contribute to a society where everyone can travel safely and with peace of mind for a more fulfilled and hopeful future. JAL, as a WORLD CLASS airline, celebrating its 70th anniversary of international flight service on February 2nd, 2024, will continue to strive to become the world’s most preferred and valued airline group, and to support the seamless travel of people and goods.
About Japan Airlines
Japan Airlines (JAL), Japan’s first private aviation company, was established in 1951 and is a member of the oneworld® Alliance. The airline operates a fleet of 224 aircraft and has announced plans to begin renewing its international flagship aircraft starting in its winter 2023 schedule. Together with other JAL Group and partner airlines, JAL offers an extensive domestic and international network that serves 376 airports across 64 countries/regions. The airline has received numerous accolades for its exceptional service, including being recognized as a certified 5-Star Airline by Skytrax and being awarded the prestigious "World Class" Airline title by APEX, the Airline Passenger Experience Association. JAL takes great pride in its on-time performance and is regarded as one of the most punctual airlines globally. The airline is dedicated to ensuring the highest standards of flight safety and overall service quality, striving to be the most preferred airline by customers worldwide. The JAL Group recognizes that action to address climate change is a particularly important issue for the sustainability of society, and in June 2020, the group announced its commitment to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2050.
For details and to learn more, visit JAL's official website at https://www.jal.com/en/